Thursday, May 15, 2014

spencer room - print share salon

  

"This is a series of eleven woodcuts we got from a friend, Beth Cullum. Saskia, my wife, used to work together with Beth at a Japanese print gallery in Seattle, Washington named Carolyn Staley Prints. And we know of Greg Kucera and a few other galleries where we lived for a few years. It's a gallery Bardia and Melissa Behravesh had mentioned earlier. This is a set of prints we got from Beth Cullum that she may have found at a gallery auction in Chicago, I believe. I think the series is entitled "An Essay From Walden by Henry David Thoreau," and it is inspired by Walden pond." Eric Lehnert

Eleven woodcuts by Naoko Matsubara from 1971. Eight minute video. Link to his print maker wife

"And so, a lot of times when I write the people at the bookstores that we buy things from, I kind of write them a poem and I send pictures just out of our own windows. And I say, this is life in America in Kansas. How is it in Tokyo? And they write back, we translated it through Google, and you have poetic writing in your nature. " Eric Lehnert


Eric Lehnert is a member of the Nelson Atkins Print Society. He videos many of the Society's events and posts them on Youtube.

Print Salon Share took place on March 22, 2014.  
Photos and video by Karl Marxhausen

No comments:

Post a Comment