Sunday, February 8, 2015

creative cafe - print salon share

When 40 Nelson Atkins print society members got together to share a print that meant something to each of us, STORIES opened up, and it got exciting in the Creative Cafe of the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art.
one video overview. one minute.
more posts on each coming.

Here is Dinah:

Dinah Henderson talks about her friend Donald Hayob and the woodcut she treasures from him. Two minutes.

Longview Chapel by Donald Hayob of Lee's Summit, Missouri. Woodcut measures 20 by 12 inches.

"Karl,....it's a small world.  I checked your blog and scrolled through all the interesting images and videos until I reached the one for the Curiosity Club.
     Imagine my surprise when I recognized the top of a very familiar image....the Longview Chapel woodcut by Don Hayob !!!  I just got off the phone with him to let him know what I found. He doesn't have a computer (Luddite) and was unsure of what happened after your conversation with him on the phone.  I've had a print of that image hanging on my wall since he did it way back when.  Perhaps I will bring it to the show and tell.  The fun thing is that over the past couple of years you have been at events with him.  He went to the Lawrence Litho day in 2013 with me and this most recent Christmas event (we were there way longer than we anticipated)."  (via email, 1.19.2015)






"I wasn't in his printmaking class at Longview, but did take a pottery/ ceramics class.  Turns out that's not my 'thing'!  Although there is one little bowl I made that I like and use.  Don is extremely talented and besides this print, I am quite taken by his paintings.  He was a student at UMKC of Robert MacDonald Graham and Graham sold him his land that wraps around behind what was then Graham's house.  He passed away a number of years ago.  I talked to Don yesterday after finding your mention of him.
We discussed the print and the fact that his cousin's wasn't framed and apparently was in the burgundy mat in which it's been since he gave it to her.  Mine is framed and was a gift from him back then.  At the time I had a bookshop and he did custom framing for some of my customers." (via email 1.20.2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment