Saturday, May 25, 2013

walk up and connect - kc expo

 

     I met the young man at the La Cucaracha booth who will be teaching the monotype class at the KCAI in June. Because I met him, I probably will take the class.     paula winchester
    There was the envelope I bought for my wife that had tiny sculpted faces made of paper with seeds inside that you could plant. My wife loves sculpture. She will have surprised looks in her elementary art classes that she teaches her in Carrollton.     karl marxhausen 
I enjoyed talking with the guy behind the print society table who has a "have printing press will travel" business. He goes around the country printing on site for various events.    paul sokoloff 
 "A rising tide raises all ships."     Mark Stevenson
 Since I sat at the front table I know that there had been 116 people to enter the doors. I asked those, while I was sitting there, how they had heard about the event. Most had a friend in the event. 3 young adults were from Emporia State. They were studying to be engravers. I asked what they were going to do with that training when they graduated. I liked that the event had some things for sell from $1 to $1400 (Laura Berman had prints for 300$ to 1400$).     paula winchester

Nelson - Atkins Print Society - Print collectors Panel Discussion April 20, 2013  
mark stevenson on the importance of archival materials
   There was a fellow who was into book binding. Who sought out Reader Digest books and refashioned new book covers from them. Our chit chat segued into another fellow from Kansas City's history who got caught up with that hands on process, the book arts, Alfred Fowler. I enjoyed Chuck Harper's insights.    karl marxhausen
Five minute walk through EXPO.
Hi Karl, I saw this; thank you very much.
Great to see you this weekend.
justin rogers
     I left my card with the group Two Tone Press for I would love to take a class at their place near Costco. I purchased one of their postcards with a Horny Toad on front and mailed it to my son in Portland. I also became aware that I really don't know who the people are in the Print Society.    paula winchester 

I will have a solo exhibition at Leedy-Voulkos Art Center next spring. The show opens First Friday, May 2 and runs through June 28, 2014. Exhibition opportunities formed for me directly from my participation in the KC Fine Print and Paper Expo. This is when I was able to connect with the curators at Leedy-Voulkos Art Center. That was such a great event!     laura berman



Fine Prints & Paper KC Expo 2013

Dates and Times:   April 19, 2013 - 4 pm to 8 pm, April 20, 2013 - 10 am to 4 pm - Leedy-Voulkos Arts Center 2012 Baltimore Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64108
Attractions:   Over 20 fine print and paper artists and art organizations from Kansas City.- Special Events:  Friday, April 19th, 5:00pm Paper Making Demonstration with Kelsey Elise Pike - 5:00pm Intaglio Printmaking Demonstration with Art McSweeney - 7:00pm The Archeology of the Sheet: Looking at Fine Paper, lecture by Mark Stevenson including antique and vintage papers

Saturday, April 20th, 11:00am - Relief Printmaking Demonstration with the Print Factory - 1:00pm - Calligraphy Demonstration with Calvert Guthrie - 1:30pm - Care of Art on Paper, a lecture by Mark Stevenson - 2:00pm - Print Collectors Panel Discussion, presented by the Print Society of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art



 The KC Expo concluded Saturday after one night
and one full day of interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment